WebsiteVoice

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

needle felted pets




It feels like forever since I've posted anything. All the usual excuses apply. I've been stressed by work, doing a little freelance, and other projects like learning needle felting. I created these little versions of my parents cats for mother's day/father's day. I haven't done anything crafty in awhile, so this was a fun change of pace. It also helped act as a little art therapy to forget some of the work stress. I learned how to create these little guys from a coworker, Mary Brunner, who teaches classes on this, and many other wool creations at a local shop. I liked that there was no sewing, except for the eyes, and no gluing. I started with the wire armatures to give them structure, and it makes the finished ones bendable. Then I used some polyfill for the insides, and wrapped them with wool roving poked in with the felting needle. I broke a couple needles, and stabbed my fingers quite a few times, but it was a fun project.

2 comments:

albina said...

Those cats are amazing! And looking at the link I am realizing that I am just down the road from you, or so it seems. I haven’t commented for a while, but there are some wonderful illos you posted! Keep them coming. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, these are outstanding! Wonderful little works of art. I'm sure your parents loved them.